I hope you had a healthy and happy holiday! We had a lot of sickness go through our family, but I am grateful to be on the other side of it for now and was still able to enjoy Christmas with our family here in Minnesota. This was my son Macklin’s first Christmas which made it extra special for us.
The start of the new year is always a great time for reflection, new beginnings, big goals, and a diet reset. While I recommend doing a cleanse or detox a few times per year, this is always the most popular time to clear the system and break those left-over holiday sugar cravings.
When following any detox incorporating liver loving foods will help your body eliminate the toxins. The liver is where toxins are processed, but the liver also helps metabolize hormones, medications, alcohol, fat, protein, and carbs. This powerhouse organ is crucial to a successful cleanse. Give you liver some love with the following foods and simple recipes!
Cruciferous veggies: Broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, bok choy, kale
- Roast a combination of these in the over with some olive oil and Coconut Aminos for a quick and easy recipe!
Citrus fruits: Orange, lemon, lime
- Simply eat a whole orange or drizzle fresh lemon or lime juice over salad or veggies. Add fresh lemon to your water or tea too.
Sulfur foods: Onions, garlic, eggs
- These immune boosters are easy to add to your cooking. Use fresh garlic!
- Hard boiled eggs are a great snack option – make sure they are free range!
Green leafies: Kale, collards, beet greens
- My favorite recipe can be found here. Buy kale and collards that are already chopped to save time.
Liver healers: Dandelion root tea, beets, asparagus, celery
- Dandelion Root Tea has a pretty mild flavor and is an easy addition.
- You can buy pre-made beets in the refrigerator section at the grocery store and add them to your salads.
Dr. Katie offers customized 14 and 21 day detox programs designed to match your goals and lifestyle. She is located in Edina, MN treating patients throughout the twin cities and Minneapolis areas. Schedule a complimentary 15 minute consultation for more information.