I love when I have a great excuse to make a “healthy” dessert, or as my mom cleverly called a “Katiefied” dessert. While searching for something sweet for girls night, I came across this recipe for raw chocolate peanut butter date balls, and have to give Angela Liddon most (all) of the credit! I love peanut butter so I added more peanut butter to the recipe and used dairy free dark chocolate chips to keep it dairy and gluten-free. My girlfriends went crazy over them and I hope you do too!
Here was my take on the “YOLO Balls”:
Guilt-Free Dessert Recipe: Raw Chocolate Peanut Butter Date Balls
Servings: Makes over 50 small peanut butter balls
- 1 container of Medjool dates (with the pits – I think they are more fresh and soft, but remove pits first)
- 3 heaping Tbsp peanut butter with salt (can substitute for your favorite nut butter if you have a peanut allergy)
- 1/2 cup dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp organic coconut oil
- Sea salt
1. Remove pits and quarter dates
2. Add dates and peanut butter to food processor and mix. The peanut butter and dates will be very sticky, but will form a large ball.
3. Store in freezer for 10 minutes to make it easier to shape. While these are in the freezer you can line your plate with parchment paper and measure chocolate chips and coconut oil.
4. Wet hand in water – roll dates and peanut butter into small 1/2 inch balls. I think the smaller the better – easier to munch on and the chocolate:dates and peanut butter ratio is better 🙂 Place in freezer for 10 more minutes
4. Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil over low heat. If cooked too long it will start to burn.
5. Remove from heat and add in date balls 5 at a time. Coat by turning ball over in the chocolate with a fork.
6. Remove from chocolate and place on a plate lined with parchment paper (I didn’t have any on hand so I placed them directly on the glass plate – made it more difficult to remove them!)
7. Sprinkle light amount of sea salt on chocolate if desired.
8. Place toothpick in the center of each ball to make it easier to grab
9. Store in the freezer until time to eat. They are best when they are cold so make sure they have at least 20 minutes in the freezer before serving.
10. Enjoy your chocolate peanut butter date balls!