Written by: Julia Liebich, ND, DC
There is a great deal of uncertainty in the world currently and it is affecting each of us differently. The best thing you can do is to support your immune system if you do catch something. See below for natural treatments that you can utilize at home to provide optimal immune function, and to prevent and treat infections naturally. Please keep in mind that it is critical to use high quality supplementation for optimal absorption and effectiveness. We are also available for video or phone visits if you would like a personalized wellness plan.
First and foremost, focus on PREVENTION
Sleep is just one way to naturally prevent and treat infections. The key to immune function; when our bodies do not receive adequate sleep our immune function is compromised and the ability to fight infection decreases substantially. Consider sleeping at least 7 hours per night and keep a consistent schedule.
Psychological stress alters immune regulation and is directly linked to the body’s inflammatory response, this weakens immune function. Meditation and breathing exercises can have positive effects. Some top apps available to download:
- The Mindfulness App
- Insight timer
Essential to optimal immune function. Eliminate sugar and increase colorful vegetables (5-7 servings daily) and fruits (2-3 servings daily). Sugar consumption can cause the immune system reactivity to reduce by 5x its normal function. Ensure healthy protein and fat consumption (organic, wild, grass-fed when possible). Additional antioxidant / nutrient support can be found in a high-quality multivitamin and greens powders.
- Zinc: Supports the immune system. May cause nausea if consumed on an empty stomach.
- Vit C: Has been found to shorten the frequency, duration and severity of colds. High doses are oftentimes needed and should be discussed with your Naturopathic Doctor.
- NAC: a natural mucolytic, antioxidant, and supportive to the immune system. Combination formulas containing NAC, vitamin C, and mucosal support are available
- Melatonin has shown to inhibit inflammatory activity. Recommended dosing is 1-5g. Sustained release (SR ) to be taken at bedtime, non sustained release to be taken 30-60min prior to bedtime.
- Vitamin D: supportive to the immune system. Also important for mood regulation in a cold state like Minnesota.
- Sambucus/Elderberry: Aiding in prevention or early stage infection.
- Vitamin A: supportive to the immune system. Please ask your naturopathic doctor for dosage recommendations before taking.
- Other immune supporting Herbs: Licorice Root, Adrographis, Astragalus, Quercitin
Julia Liebich, ND, DC
As a Naturopathic Doctor and Chiropractor, Dr. Julia specializes in treating the root cause of disease using natural medicine. She truly listens to her patients which allows her to provide individualized treatments that achieve amazing results. Dr. Julia practices at Balanced Care in Woodbury and Edina where she serves patients throughout the twin cities.