I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but it’s a great change from oatmeal! The recipe is best with bananas, but blueberries or raspberries are good too. Get creative or use what is in the fridge!
- 1/3 cup Quinoa – see tip below!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk – unsweetened almond or coconut are best
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- ½ banana – sliced
- Add Quinoa and water to pan and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes
- Strain water and add milk
- Cook on med-low heat
- Add cinnamon and bananas
- Cook until quinoa is clear and serve immediately
Quinoa has become famous for being “high in protein”. This isn’t entirely true… or false. Quinoa is the only grain that contains all the essential amino acids, making it great for vegetarians. However, quinoa has 1 more gram of protein per ½ cup than oatmeal does. Quinoa should still be considered a grain and is a great alternative to wheat and oatmeal so eat up!